Friday, March 21, 2014

Hör zu, Maria, zärtliche Vorschläge … (On Supplication)


Among my favorite lyric romantic passages in literature, is this, from Günther Grass Die Blechtrommel (1959):

"Hör' zu, Maria, zärtliche Vorschläge: Ich könnte mir einen Zirkel kaufen  und einen Kreis um uns schlagen,  könnt'  mit demselben Zirkel  die Neigungswinkel deines Halses messen, während du liest, nähst oder, wie jetzt, an meinem Kofferradio drehst. Lass doch das Radio, zärtliche Vorschläge:  Ich könnt' mir die Augen impfen lassen und wieder zu Tränen kommen. Beim nächsten Metzger ließe Oskar sein Herz durch den Wolf drehen, wenn du deine Seele gleichfalls. Wir könnten uns auch ein Stofftier kaufen, damit es still bleibt zwischen uns beiden. Wenn ich mich zu Würmern entschlösse und du zur Geduld: Wir könnten angeln gehen und glücklicher werden. Oder das Brausepulver von damals, erinnerst du dich? Du nennst mich Waldmeister, ich brause auf, du willst noch mehr, ich geb' dir den Rest - Maria, zärtliche Vorschläge. Warum drehst du am Radio, hörst nur noch aufs Radio, als besäße dich ein wildes Verlangen nach Sondermeldungen?"

I was reminded of this  by the following passage in the fine and undervalued novel by Arthur Koestler (who likewise  originally wrote in German), Arrival and Departure (1941):

“Don’t go, please,” he repeated.  “I’ll play you the gramophone.  I’ll make clever conversation.  I’ll give you iced wine for tea from the refrigerator.”
He looked up at her in hopeless devotion.

I too have toddled  a ways down this path,  in the finale to the story “Lost and Found” (available in the collection I Don’t Do Divorce Cases):

     She called, or he called her.  It was the final call.
     He confessed his failure.  She seemed not to take it hard.  She began to take her leave but suddenly he interrupted her, his voice taking on an unbearable urgency.
     "Lady lady, I'm not just a P.I. you know.  Not at all. I can serve. No no, please listen.  I can do other things for you.  Everything, anything.  Fix your car, do your taxes.  Grow your garden, wash your windows. Carry your bags, protect you from the sun, shield you from shadows.   Please, anything.  I can go on trips, run errands for you.  Please.  I can go to the market:  for eggs.  I can go to the store: for milk."
     He listened in silence, to the silence, crackling immensely across acres of empty space.  And then he heard the click as she hung up forever, and vanished vastly and forever from his unimagined life.

Miserere, Domina

No comments:

Post a Comment