Monday, January 14, 2013

Doctor Dolittle, Detective

Last year, after a gap of many decades, a new Winnie the Pooh book came out, from an English author so authorized by the Milne estate.  And now a well-known English actress is coming out with an authorized new Peter Rabbit.   So Doctor Dolittle is back in play, and up for grabs.


The world's best  wonderfulmost  Linguist-man


Here's my idea:


Doctor Dolittle, Detective

That prospective book-title  just now occurred to me.
I have no idea of a plot for it, apart from its being exciting, and having lots of animals.
(Oh!  Already I want to read that book!!  Only, I have to write it first.)
But I thought I'd share it with you in the meantime.
Maybe one of you can send me a neat plot-idea.
Or, even better, you could write the book yourself.

Meanwhile ...

For something nice about nice Doctor Dolittle, click here: 
http://worldofdrjustice.blogspot.com/2012/03/exciting-story.html

For neat detective stuff, here:
http://murphybros.blogspot.com



[Update 7 Jan 2013]  O Nooes!!  Turns out Hugh Lofting already thought of that!  At this evening's story-time, we read, in Doctor Dolittle's Caravan (1924), of the amazing Case of the Burgled Blackbirds.

[Note:  For anyone raised on the Dr Dolittle books,  what follows may be somewhat upsetting.
No-one over the age of 60 should read the following  unless accompanied by a minor.]

So:  In order to free some birds from an ill-run pet-shop, Dr D does a B & E, followed by either larceny or at least Taking (legal experts differ), then flight to avoid arrest, culminating in [We warned you!  Oldsters stop reading now!]  physical assault upon a duly appointed officer of the law, to escape capture.

Subsequently, the evil pet-store-owner tracks him down (unclear how) and confronts him;  but Herr Doktor Dolittle counter-confronts him, in a variation of P.G.Wodehouse's line for Bertie Wooster, "I know all about Eulalie."  The intel being of course supplied by his animal-friends ...


~

Okay okay, got to think of something that never occurred to Mr Lofting. -- Got it!


Doctor Dolittle, Astronaut

[Update]  O Noooooezzz !!!   He already thought of that angle as well:  Doctor Dolittle in the Moon (1928).
I stare at the volume in disbelief (I have a whole shelfful of Dolittle books.)  In the moo-oon?!?  What's Doctor Dolittle doing in the moon??!?   And how'm I going to write a book that will sell a billion copies and make me richer than rich so's I can buy my nice yacht ??

Oh well.   Here are some books of mine.  Please buy billions.
 





No comments:

Post a Comment