Thursday, February 16, 2012

Heavyweight Updates


Substantial additions have been made to the following essays.  Click on the links.



This is a fifty-dollar word for ‘the study of the nature of Truth’;  and since it doesn’t show up in the essay itself, I wanted to post it here, since WDJ is fond of words costing fifty dollars.  (Sesquipedalian and callipygian come to mind …)
Now with more on the Parable of the Supersheaves, and much more about Michael Dummett.



Diving now additionally to the non-mathematical benthos as well..



Now with an aside on the academic sociopolitics of the Vietman-era mess.



Here we retrieve the honor of the sadly-maligned Diderot.




Additional material from Kitcher and Blackburn.
Incidentally -- a word in this place  about an essay I have not (yet) written.
For long, the principal point of this blog  was to champion Platonism -- Realism about mathematics.   Were I ever to pen an essay on the subject of ethics per se (as opposed to rants about the political events of the day, which presuppose  but do not argue  a certain moral background), I would wish to title it Moral Realism.  (I have actually made a cautious baby-step in the direction of Aesthetic Realism here.)   This would require evidence and argument, in an area where I have no special training   and (so far) no insights.    I want such Realism to be true;  but in the absence of anything telling, I shall remain mum.    


* A miscellany of linguistics  (and, relatedly, semantics and rhetorical analysis)

Though I have deliberately avoided posting much from within the field of my graduate training and current employment, linguistics,  one way or another   enough asides have managed to slip into other essays, that if you lay these end to end, there are about enough scattered nuggets to make a meal.  So here you go.


No comments:

Post a Comment