Monday, July 18, 2011

Omigosh I was wrong !!


Turns out there isn’t any God after all !  It’s all in the genes!
Is my face red !   And I am so-o-o sorry  for having made fun of wonderful atheists.  ( … *sniffle*  * sob * … )

-- Well, still, a relief; enough with the morality already.  Think I’ll go out now and pillage some villages.

This genetic approach is immensely powerful:  you can pretty much prove anything you like.   You find some vague and metaphorical feature which, in your own mind, you casually associate with X; you extend  -- s-t-r-e-e-e-e-t-ch -- the metaphor to apply to some gene or other;  and voilà !  X is meaningless, merely genetic!  Blahblah hoc, ergo propter hoc ! (That last is a scientific principle -- and Latin to boot; above your pay-grade; don’t bother your pretty little heads.)

Thus:  We are hard-wired, to recognize shapes, and solid objects.  This is the genetic source of the absurd folk-belief in the existence of penguins, definitively refuted here.  The toddler is programmed to be bemused by his fæces;  hence our fascination with Donald Trump.

Free will?  A sense of purpose?  The existence of other minds?  -- Heck, all that nonsense is handled by junk DNA.

And as for your pitiable belief in the abstract fol-de-rol of the Urysohn Metrization Theorem   (ha !  ha !! ha !!!  laugh the Nominalists:  the “Urysohn”  “”Metrization”” “””Theeeeorem””” !!!!!!),  it has been decisively mulched by modern genetic theory, here.

1 comment:

  1. Well, although I do not believe in gods myself I actually agree with you, that all the deterministic talk about how we are forced to invent god due to our cerebral structures, genetics, etc. leave me less than apathetic, they actually annoy me. Not only that they often are rive with fitting your fudge-parameter theory to facts - after the "fact"! - they also usually provide zero predictions one could test. So, for me, it's the narrative fallacy per excellence. My usual challenge is for people promoting such notions to explain to me how I, and many other more, are actually capable of the opposite, viz. not believing in gods, although we are supposedly forced to believe in them by nature. Still waiting for an answer ...

    So far the tender love, now the tough love: evocations of atheism as being barren of morality and the lack of a believe of gods being a cause or at least a justification of unethical behaviour are so immature and uneducated that I hope this was a tongue-in-cheek hyperbola, otherwise you may count on my philosophical anger.

    ReplyDelete